Thursday, April 26, 2012

Book Reviews (aka- "Book Dropping")

I love to read! I wouldn't consider myself a bookworm, but I do always have a book or two that I'm clicking through. I also try to mix-up what I read, and not just read one category of books. I know my book choices aren't always the most intellectual, but I do try to put some good titles in there.

Cute Raquel Bell gives her mini-book reviews on her blog, I want to do something similar. And I'm sort of proud of myself, these are all since January.


 
This was my first step into Science Fiction. Peter and my brother Dave loved this one! So I wanted to give it a try. I thought it was great (although Sci-Fi can be really far out there). I hear they're making a movie of it, which makes sense. It's an awesome story!

Peter grew up watching the movie of this classic old book. We watched the movies years ago together and he loved singing the songs. It's a quick read, so I read it and loved the way they twisted words. Peter would be a citizen of Dictionopolis, and I would be a citizen of Digitopolis.

Heavy! Eye-opening! This is my girl's Holly's recommendation. She's recommended it for years, and I finally got to it. I cried at the end, some women have life so hard! Especially in the Middle East/Afghanistan. If my mother read it, she would say that Mariam's life could be related to the Savior. :)

This one made me laugh! And, made me feel like I am a pathetic piano player/teacher! Amy Chua says she feels like she is making fun of herself and her parenting, but really, felt like she was bragging and making Americans looks lazy. I probably showed Peter about 6 different paragraphs that were so offensively funny!

A fun little period piece, recommended by Raquel who I mentioned above, and she didn't even know she recommended it. :) I could see my mom liking this book. It's a piece set in the early 20th Century, a little whodunnit book with some fun twists.
 A few of my siblings have read this book, because they knew Brandon at BYU. A fun YA book that I read in like 4 days. Just a cute story about fairies, satyrs and centaurs. Funny how SciFi seems like a stretch for me, but youth fantasy books are delicious to me!

And this one was recommended by Tasha. A classic. I got several complements when people saw I was reading Steinbeck for leisure (you can tell I'm not too well read, if I have to brag about it on my blog). Crazy story! Messed up Cathy, but such interested characters. I love California!


I hadn't realized it before, but most all the books I read are recommendations. And most of the recommendations come from my friends who read my blog. I like that I could give ya'll shout-outs. I love recommendations, pass them along anytime!

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Phantom Tollbooth. And I LOVED Ender's Game. That's the book that made me miss my flight.. while I was sitting at the gate. I was so into the book that I didn't hear the final call to board my plane. Very humiliating to call my inlaws asking them to pick me up from the airport because I missed my flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am feeling very special to have made your blog. Too bad you don't live in Maryland and then you could be in our book club you would love it. We are currently reading Moon Over Manifest, I haven't finished it but thus far it's a gem you might want to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. East of Eden is one of mine and Grant's favorite books of all time. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so funny, but I think we are reading twins! Randal just finished reading me Ender's Game (the baby just started to be able to hear our voices, so Randal wanted to read him something), and I am currently reading East of Eden. I guess we will have to compare notes when we come visit in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete